In 2003 RuneScape Classic started to become a major competitor to other Online Role-playing games.
- 11 January - New Runescape Website launched.
- 27 January - The Shilo Village quest was added.
- 28 January - The Wilderness Agility Course and the Gnome Ball minigame were added.
- 2003 Easter event – Bunny ears spawned on the ground all over RuneScape.
- 14 April - Spears and Throwing knives were added.
- 7 May - The Watchtower quest was added, and the bank space for members was increased.
- 27 May - The Dwarf Cannon quest was added. Also, Sleeping bags were added, and Mining was changed.
- 29 May - Some bugs involving the newer quests were fixed.
- 9 July – The Digsite quest was added.
- 28 July - The quest Gertrude's Cat was added, and cats were made available as pets. Also, the Fishing Trawler minigame was added.
- 31 October - For 2003 Hallowe'en event the Scythes were dropped all over the ground. It was the last new item to be added to RuneScape Classic.
- 7 November - The infamous Partyhat duplication glitch was exploited.
- 1 December – The RuneScape 2 beta was released. Three new RuneScape 2 servers were added with the release, later that day.
This is the final year the first 99s were achieved in Classic, all the remaining skills were mastered in Runescape 2.
- Agility - Thehate
- Crafting - Ltangel
- Fletching - Chilipeppers
- Herblaw - Halw Gnun