|Release date: 9 July 2003 (Update)|
|Start: Talk to an Examiner in the Exam Centre south of the Digsite, which is past a members gate east of Varrock.|
|Monsters to kill: None|
- Talk to the Examiner, and obtain an Unstamped letter of recommendation. Search the bookcases to find a book of experimental chemistry, and the cupboard to find a rock pick.
- Go to the Varrock Museum, and get the Curator to stamp it by using it on him.
- Return to the Examiner. Take the first test, and fail. You will have to get help from the students on the digsite to learn the answers.
- Talk to the three students found at the dig site to the north (one is dressed in green and yellow, one in red and black and one in pink and black). They each have lost a rock sample.
- The first of the samples can be found in the bush next to the two giant blue urns, just to the south of the digsite.
- The second of the samples can be found by pickpocketing Workmen. This can also give you items used later in the quest, so make sure to be careful with what you throw away.
- The third can be found by panning for gold. Pick up the panning tray from the large tent, then give a cup of tea to the guide. Pan until you find a rock sample and an uncut opal. Keep any gold nuggets you find, as 3 gold nuggets can be exchanged for a gold ore with the expert.
- After finding each sample, return them to the three students.
- Take note of the answers given by the students, and use these in the exam. Repeat this for exam levels 2 and 3; on level 3, the pink student will ask for an opal, which you should have from the last stage. You should be given a trowel and three certificates
- Take the certificates back to the museum curator and use them on him. He will give you a chocolate cake or a fruit blast as reward.
- Obtain a specimen brush by pickpocketing workmen. Go to the most north-eastern dig spot on the digsite; It should be level 3. Search the nearby sacks until you find a specimen jar, then use your trowel on the soil until you unearth the Talisman of Zaros. Take this to the Archaeological expert back at the exam centre, who will give you a permission scroll. Give this to any workman.
- You can now use the winch shafts; first, you want to find the one in the north-east part of the digsite, just south of the level 3 dig. Now use a rope (can be pickpocketed from workmen) to get down and talk to the workman. Ask for the key, by choosing the begging option every time, until he gives in and hands it over.
- Use a rope on the second winch shaft (located slightly south-west of the first) to come across a path blocked by bricks, and some Arcenia root. Take a root.
- Head back to the tent by the panning spots. Unlock the chest to obtain some unidentified powder. Search through the specimen dirt trays until you find some charcoal - grind this up with your pestle and mortar. Use your trowel on the nearby barrels marked 'X', followed by a vial, to obtain an unidentified dangerous liquid.
- Go back to the Archaeological expert, and have him identify the powder and the liquid.
- Use the Ammonium Nitrate, ground charcoal and Arcenia root on the Nitroglycerin to create an Explosive compound.
- Go back down the winch shaft located to the west, use the Explosive compound on the Bricks and then ignite it using your tinderbox.
- Go along the newly created path past the skeletons, and pick up the tablet.
- Take it back to the Archaeological expert and use it on him.
- 9000 (level 29)
- 14800 (level 45)
- 15000 (level 49)
- 18300 (level 60)
- 18509 (level 60)
- 20100 (level 66)
- 1500 (level 11)
- 1625 (level 12)
- 1750 (level 13)
- 3500 (level 27)
- 5750 (level 45)
- 8500 (level 67)