|Release date: 28 May 2002 (Update)|
|Start: Speak to either mountain dwarf on either side of White Wolf Mountain near the passage in Taverly. Ask "what is down the stairs", "why not?" , "if you were my friend" , "well let's be friends", "how am I meant to do that?" , "fortunately I'm good at fishing".|
|Requirements: 10 Fishing|
|Monsters to kill: Guard Dog (level 46, optional, but can be avoided)|
Preparations before the Quest to save time:
- Obtain a fishing rod. One can be bought for 5 coins Gerrant in Port Sarim or from Harry in Catherby.
- Obtain Garlic from the building north of Ned and east of Morgan in Draynor Village. Go upstairs in the building and search the cupboard. If you want to get spare garlic, use the drop trick.
- Obtain spade before starting the quest. Spade item spawns exist in the following locations:
Dwarves Can't FishEdit
- Speak to either one of the mountain dwarves near White Wolf Mountain. There is one in Taverley and one in Catherby, on each side of the tunnels entrances.
- Ask them about gaining access to the tunnel. They'll tell you that they will let you use the passage under the mountain, if you earn their trust. They then tell you about the Hemenster Fishing Contest.
- They'll give you a fishing competition pass and tell you ask you to win the trophy.
(Optional) Gaining HelpEdit
Travel to Hemenster which is north of Ardougne and south west of Seers Village. Talk to Grandpa Jack, who is located in a house in the north-east of Hemenster, and he will tell you the secrets to his fishing ability which allowed him to win the Fishing Contest for so many years.
Warning for Low Combat Level Players: Several Guard dogs patrol McGrubor's Wood; be careful walking through the fenced in area if your combat level is low. Bringing food and a weapon may be necessary for low level players. If your combat level is low, you can walk along the northern fence to lower the chance of the guard dogs spotting you; walk along the fence until you get to the middle of McGrubor's Wood, then walk west to the red vine.inventory head north from Hemenster to McGrubor's Wood. If you try and enter the woods through the main entrance, the Foresters will tell you that it's a private property, and that you can't enter. Therefore you will have to find a different entrance. Head east of the fenced in woods and you will find a Fence with loose pannels[ ] on the east fence, which can be pinpointed by a finding a small gap in the grey lines on your map
- The entrance will be just south of the only tree that is in direct contact with the east fence, located very close to the north-eastern corner of McGrubor's Wood.
Once inside, you must find the red vine, which is located in the western part of the woods. Use your spade on the vine and you will obtain red vine worms. Head back to Hemenster, exiting via the break in the fence that you entered from.
Winning the contestEdit
Optional: Talk to the Sinister Stranger and ask him who he is, then accuse him of being a vampire.
Use the garlic on the pipe next to the sinister stranger, to the north.
Talk to Bonzo to start the competition, and the vampire will complain of the smell and swap fishing spots with you.
Cast out your rod and you will catch a giant carp.
Talk to Bonzo and he will tell you to wait for the time to be over. A few of seconds later the contest will end, and you will win. Alternatively if you want a giant carp as a souvenir, keep fishing and drop the carp each time, until Bonzo calls times up. At the end you will be given the Hemenster fishing trophy.
Go back to either of the two dwarves to complete the quest.
- 1 Quest Point
- Fishing experience (see this table)
- Access to the Dwarves underground tunnel beneath the White Wolf Mountain (which leads from Catherby to Taverley or vice versa)
- Attempting to fish with Fishing Bait at the spot by the oak tree will yield Raw Shrimp - no experience received.
- Attempting to fish with Red vine worms at the spot by the oak tree will yield Raw Sardine - no experience received.
- Attempting to fish with Red vine worms at the spot by the pipes will always yield Raw giant carp - no experience received.
- Attempting to fish with Fishing Bait at the spot by the pipes will yield Raw Sardine - no experience received.
- Regardless of what is caught during the competition, anything that had not been dropped before Bonzo calls times up, will be handed to him.