|Release date: 28 May 2002 (Update)|
|Start: Speak to either mountain dwarf on either side of White Wolf Mountain near the passage.|
|Requirements: 10 Fishing|
|Monsters to kill: Guard Dog (level 46, optional, but can be avoided)|
To save time:
- You may get a fishing rod before starting the quest. One can be bought for 5 coins from either Gerrant in Port Sarim or from Harry in Catherby. If you start the quest without a fishing rod, you should probably walk to Catherby as Catherby is closer to the dwarves and to the Hemenster fishing contest than Port Sarim which is quite far away from the dwarves and Hemenster. You cannot get a fishing rod from Grandpa Jack.
- You should get garlic before you start the quest. Garlic can be obtained from the building north of Ned and east of Morgan in Draynor Village. Go upstairs in the building and search the cupboard. If you want to get spare garlic, use the drop trick.
- You should get a spade before starting the quest. Spade item spawns exist in the following locations:
Dwarves Can't Fish Edit
Speak to either one of the mountain dwarves near White Wolf Mountain. They'll tell you that they will let you use their tunnel under the mountain, if you earn their trust. They go on to tell you about the Hemenster Fishing Contest. They'll give you a fishing competition pass and tell you to win the trophy.
Gaining Help Edit
Travel to Hemenster, located north of Ardougne. Click on the gate and you'll show Morris your fishing competition pass and he will let you pass. You can try to fish for the contest, but you will always lose. Talk to Grandpa Jack, who is located exactly in a house north-east of Hemenster, and he will tell you the secrets to his fishing ability. He will tell you to always use the spot next to the pipes. He also says that his best bait was red vine worms gained through McGrubor's Wood.
Obtaining the items Edit
Put a spade in your inventory before heading to McGrubor's Wood. You will need to obtain red vine worms to catch the giant carp. If you try and enter the woods through the main entrance, the Foresters will tell you that it's a private property, and that you can't enter, therefore you will have to enter through another way. Head east of the woods and you will find a hidden entrance. The "Fence with loose pannels" is on the east fence (you'll notice a small gap in the grey lines on your map). The fence with loose pannels will be just south of the only tree that is in direct contact with the east fence, located very close to the north-eastern corner of McGrubor's Wood. Once inside, you must find the red vine, which is located in the western part of the woods.
There are level 40 Guard dogs patrolling through McGrubor's Wood; be careful walking through McGrubor's Wood if your combat level is low due to the Guard dogs. If your combat level is low, you can walk along the northern fence to lower the chance of the guard dogs spotting you; walk along the fence until you get to the middle of McGrubor's Wood, then walk west to the red vine. Use your spade on the vine and you will obtain a red vine worms.
Winning the contest Edit
Once all of the items are obtained (garlic, fishing rod, red worms; do not forget to bring your Fishing competition Pass and 5 coins), go back to Hemenster to enter the contest by talking to Bonzo and giving him 5 coins. Now talk to sinister stranger and ask him who he is, then accuse him of being a vampire you can now Use the garlic on the pipe next to the sinister stranger (of the three, the pipe farthest from the water). He'll complain about a strong garlic smell, and switch spots with you.
Cast out your rod and you will catch a giant carp. Talk to Bonzo, show him the fish and he will tell you to wait for the time to be over. A few of seconds later the contest will end and you will win. You will be given the Hemenster fishing trophy.
Go back to either of the two mountain dwarves to complete the quest.
- 1 Quest Point
- Fishing experience (see this table)
- Access to the underground tunnel beneath the White Wolf Mountain