Fishing Trawler is a fishing related minigame in RuneScape that was released on July 28th 2003. It can be started by talking to Murphy in Port Khazard. It is the only place to obtain raw sea turtles and raw manta rays.
It can be played by yourself or with others. Though, it seems even with others present each individual player is always in their own separate game which may or may not stay the same as players around them and causes teammates to disappear at random.
Warning: The fishing trawler can be very glitchy at times and sometimes completely unplayable. Be prepared to encounter a glitch or two, but if you are willing to dedicate a bit of your time to this great piece of Classic history you may find it quite fun, especially with other players.
Though glitchy, both boats can be used and completed, the eastern boat is much more glitchy than the west.
15+ Fishing, 20k+ GP to buy: A bailing bucket, 10+ rope and 120+ swamp paste. Patience is recommended.
75 Fishing is required to catch Sea Turtles, and 81 Fishing is required to catch Manta Rays.
How to PlayEdit
Once you’ve reached the port, you will need to get your supplies. With coins in your pocket, head over to the shopkeeper in the small building just south of the docks. Depending on how many trips you wish to do: Buy some rope, swamp paste and a bailing bucket. If you are going in a group you may want to hop worlds for more supplies.
• Rope: Costs: 23+ GP Shop stocks: 30. • Swamp paste: Costs: 39+ GP Shop stocks: 30. • Bailing bucket: Costs: 13+ GP Shop stocks: 30.
Once you are all ready to go, speak to Murphy who is on the docks (There are two Murphy NPCs to speed up the process if more than one player is going). If it is your first time on the trawler you will have to go through a fairly long talk with him. From then on it will be as simple as asking to go, then picking which boat you would like to go on. Remember, your bailing bucket will not work on the east boat.
Once on-board it is quite simple:
• Fill leaks when they appear by simply clicking on them.
• Fix the nets (located on either side on the rear of the ship) when they break. There will be a message that pops up on your screen when they break, it is hard to miss. If you don’t repair these, you will catch no fish. You need rope to repair nets, it is also possible to fail “due to the harsh conditions”. If you fail you will not use a rope, if you succeed you will use one of your rope.
• Bail in your free time by clicking on the bailing bucket. I’m not sure how much of an effect this actually has, but might as well.
How to leave the trawler early: You can leave any time by talking to Murphy. You will be taken to the same place in the sea you would be if you had failed. You will get no reward.
You can only get fish that correspond to your fishing level. Unlike RS2 where you only get 40%xp, you will get full xp for any fish you catch on the trawler. You get your xp not upon completion of the trip but as you take your catch(s) from the net. If your inventory is full, your items will be dropped on the ground.
Note: It is possible to catch any fish up to 3 levels higher than your fishing level by taking a sip of fishing potion before checking the nets, this includes sea turtles and manta ray.
This list is incomplete
|Image||Catch||Fishing level||Fishing experience|
|Raw Sea Turtle||75||105|
|Raw Manta Ray||81||115|
Can be caught at any level. As far as I know, junk is useless; if anyone has any information on possible uses, please leave a post.
• Buttons: 1 xp • Broken arrow: 1 xp • Broken staff: 1.5 xp • Ceramic remains: ? xp
• Old boot: 1.5 xp • Rusty sword: 1.5 xp • Broken glass: 1.5 xp • Damaged armour: 1.5 xp
• Edible seaweed: Provides 5 fishing xp. Heals: 4.
• Oyster: Provides 10 fishing xp. They sometimes contain 'Oyster pearls' which can be used with a chisel to make 'Oyster pearl bolt tips' and then 'Oyster pearl bolts'. Though, many are empty.
• Inconsistency: It seems that even if a player who fills just as many leaks, bails just as much water, is on the ship for the same amount of time, starts at the same time and has a higher fishing level than another player, they may still finish later and get less fish. It all seems to be very random, which I don’t think is normal. Trips can take between 5 - 30+ minutes to complete regardless of what you do.
• The ‘M.I.A glitch‘: When doing fishing trawler with 2 or more people, even if you are on the same boat other players may disappear at random. It seems they are teleported to different ships or perhaps different phases of the trawler. When in the same boat as another, you both can see the same leaks. Though, your nets break at different times. Even when in the same boat as another player you may finish in vastly different times.
• The ‘are we there yet?’ glitch: The ship never returns to shore. This is fairly rare it seems, but does happen. Not sure if it is specific to one boat.• The east boat bailing glitch: It seems not many, if anyone is able to use their bailing bucket on this boat. When clicked on, nothing happens. I would stick to the west boat for this reason. Though it has been reported to affect the west boat occasionally as well.
|This article is a stub.|
You can help by expanding it.